How to install Visual Studio 2005 on Windows 7 x64 the Unattended way
- Extract your Visual Studio installation files to c:\VS2005
- Download Visual Studio 2005 SP1 and place it in c:\VS2005_Resources
- Download Visual Studio 2005 SP1 Update for Windows Vista and place it in c:\VS2005_Resources
- Create a new VS2005.ini Unattended answers file by running the following from a cmd prompt
- C:\vs2005\setup\setup.exe /createunattend c:\VS2005.ini
- Select the options you want to have installed during the unattended install and complete the wizard
- Keep in mind that the unattended file you create will only be usable on machines that have the exact same OS and architecture (x86 or x64)
- Copy and paste the following into a new bat file (c:\InstallVS2005.bat):
:Variables SET VisualStudio2005FilesPath=c:\VS2005 SET VisualStudio2005ResourcesPath=c:\VS2005_Resources</code> echo. echo Install Visual Studio 2005 echo -Install Prequisites "%VisualStudio2005FilesPath%\WCU\64bitPrereq\x64\vs_bsln.exe" /Q "%VisualStudio2005FilesPath%\WCU\DExplore\dexplore.exe" /q:a /c:"install.exe /q" echo -Install Visual Studio 2005 "%VisualStudio2005FilesPath%\setup\setup.exe" /unattendfile "c:\VS2005.ini" echo -Install Visual Studio 2005 SP1 "%VisualStudio2005ResourcesPath%\en_visual_Studio_2005 SP1 (VS80sp1-KB926601-X86-ENU).exe" /q echo -Install Visual Studio 2005 SP1 for Windows Vista "%VisualStudio2005ResourcesPath%\en_visual_studio_2005 SP1 Vista (VS80sp1-KB932232-X86-ENU).exe" /q
Once you have done all that run the c:\InstallVS2005.bat file from a cmd prompt with Administrator priviledges. Towards the end of the initial Visual Studio 2005 install windows 7 will prompt you with a warning about Visual Studio 2005 being a an application that it has trouble running. Dismiss the warning and allow the installation to continue.
Once the bat file is finished you should have a working Visual Studio 2005 installation.